Grand Imam Ahmed el-Tayeb full biography
- Grand Imam Ahmed el-Tayeb obtained Ph. D. degree from the Department of Theology and Philosophy, Al- Azhar University in 1977.
- Grand Imam Ahmed el-Tayeb Master’s degree from the Department of Theology and Philosophy, Al-Azhar University was in 1971.
- Grand Imam Ahmed el-Tayeb Bachelor’s degree from the Department of Theology and Philosophy, Al- Azhar University was in 1969.
Grand Imam Ahmed el-Tayeb Academic Positions:
- Teaching Assistant in 1969
- Assistant Lecturer in 1971
- Lecturer in 1977
- Assistant Professor in 1982
- Professor in 1988
Grand Imam Ahmed el-Tayeb Administrative Positions:
- Teaching assistant at the Faculty of Islamic Theology, Al-Azhar University on the 20th of Jumada II, 1389 A.H. (September 2, 1969).
- Professor at the Faculty of Islamic Theology, Al-Azhar University on the 17th of Jumada I, 1408 A.H. (January 6, 1988).
- Dean of the Faculty of Islamic and Arabic Studies for Males in Qena Governorate since the 8th of Rabi II, 1411 A.H. (October 27, 1990) till the 21st of Safar, 1421 A.H. (August 31, 1991).
- Dean of the Faculty of Islamic Studies for Males in Aswan Governorate on the 22nd of Jumada II, 1416 A.H. (November 15, 1995).
- Dean of the Faculty of Islamic Theology, the International Islamic University in Pakistan in the academic year 1999/2000.
- Grand Mufti for the Arab Republic of Egypt (March 10, 2002 to September 27, 2003).
- President of Al-Azhar University (Sha‛bān 1, 1424 A.H./September 28, 2003) to Rabi‛ II, 4, 1431 A.H./ March 19, 2010).
Universities where Grand Imam Ahmed el-Tayeb worked outside Al-Azhar:
- Imam Muhammad Ibn Saud University, Riyadh.
- Qatar University.
- Emirates University, UAE.
- Islamic International University, Islamabad, Pakistan.
Grand Imam Ahmed el-Tayeb Academic Missions:
- The 19th International Forum for Peace in France.
- The International Islamic Conference on The Reality of Islam and its Role in Contemporary Society, organized by the ᾿Ālu l-Bayt Royal Academy for Islamic Thought, the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan.
- The Summit of Interreligious Esteem, held in New York and Harvard University.
- A Conference on Religions and Cultures: The Courage of Modern Humanity, organized by Universita Perucia, Italy.
- A Conference on Culture and Religions in the Mediterranean Region, organized by the Third University, Rome.
- The World Conference of Muslim Scholars in Indonesia under the slogan: “Raising the Banner of Islam is a Mercy for the Worlds”.
- He headed a delegation including press men and members of the Egyptian People’s Assembly, to hold a dialogue with the German Parliament, the media and the Council of Churches in Germany.
- He undertook an academic mission to the University of Paris for six months.
- He was the Chairman of the first, second and third forums of the World Association of Al-Azhar Alumni.
- He traveled to Switzerland on an academic mission, invited by the University of Fribourg, for three weeks (May 9, 1989 to May 31, 1989).
- The Egyptian Philosophical Society.
- The Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs.
- The Islamic Research Academy.
- The Board of Trustees of the Egyptian Radio and Television Union.
- Chairman of the Religious Committee of the Egyptian Radio and Television Union.
- Rapporteur of the Committee for the Revision and Preparation of Educational Standards in the Egyptian Ministry of Education.
- Ālu l-Bayt Royal Academy for Islamic Thought.
Orders and Medals of Honor:
- His Majesty King Abdullah II of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan granted His Eminence the Order of Independence of the First Degree, and the Certificate of Membership at ᾿Ālu l-Bayt Royal Academy for Islamic Thought, in recognition of his Eminence’s efforts in explaining the true aspects of Islam and its moderation, during his participation in the International Islamic Conference held in Jordan in July 2005.
- The Islamic Personality Award that Al-Azhar University obtained from His Highness Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Crown Prince of Dubai in 2003.
- The Dubai International Holy Qur’ān Award: “the Islamic Personality of the Year” in 2013.
- He was selected as “the Person of the Year” in the State of Kuwait on the occasion of choosing it as the Capital of Islamic Culture in 2015.
- Honorary Doctorate from the Islamic University of Maulana Malik Ibrahim, Indonesia in February 2016.
- The Monetary Aspect in the Philosophy of Abu Al-Barakat Al-Baghdadi.
- A Study of Existence and Identity in Kitāb ul-Mawāqif (the Book of Attitudes): A Presentation and Study, Cairo 1402 A.H./1982.
- “The Concept of Movement between Muslim Philosophy and Marxism”, Cairo, 1982.
- Introduction to the Study of Old Logic, Cairo, 1407 A.H. (1987).
- Investigations on Cause and Reason in Kitāb ul-Mawāqif (the Book of Attitudes): A Presentation and Study, Cairo, 1407 A.H. (1987).
- Research in the Muslim Philosophy, co-authered with others, Qatar University, Doha, 1414 A.H. (1993).
- Commentary on the Chapters on Divinity from Tahzīb ul-Kalām (The Book of Refined Speech) by At-Taftazāni, Cairo, 1997.
Research papers published in refereed academic journals:
- “Basics of the Discipline of Debate by Al-Ash‛ariy”, published in the Yearbook of the Faculty of Islamic Theology, Cairo, No. IV, 1987.
- “Heritage and Innovation: Discussions and Responses”, a paper published in the Yearbook of the College of Legislation, Law and Islamic Studies, Qatar University, 11th Edition, 1414 A.H. 1993.
- “The Foundations of the Theory of Science by Al-Ash‛ariy”, Cairo, 1407 A.H. 1982.
- “The Concept of Movement between the Muslim Philosophy and Marxism”, Cairo, 1982.
Published Editing Works:
- “Authentic Evidence on the Nature of the Mind” by Abu Al-Barakāt Al-Baghdādi, with a French introduction, published at the Journal of the French Academic Institute in Cairo.
- “French Introductions of the Indexed Dictionary of the Prophetic Hadith,” published in the Journal of Research Center of the Biography and Sunnah, University of Qatar, Issue 1, 1414 A.H./1998.
- Osman Yahya, Histoire et classification de l’oeuvre d’Ibn Arabi, from French into Arabic, translated as: The writings of Ibn Arabi: History and Classification, Cairo, 1413 A.H./1992.
- Prophetie et saintete dans la doctrine d’Ibn Arabi, Chodkiewiez, from French into Arabic, translated as Sainthood and Prophecy according to Sheikh Muḩyiddīn Ibn ‛Arabi, Dar ul-Qubbah Az-Zarqā᾿ for Publishing, Morocco, 1419 A.H. (1998).
Conference and Symposium Research Papers:
- “The French Studies on Ibn Al-‛Arabi”, presented at the First International Conference on Muslim Philosophy, Faculty of Dar Al-‛Ulūm, Cairo, April 20 -22, 1996, published in the conference proceedings.
- “Views on the Issue of Distortion of the Qur’ān attributed to the Shiite Imams”, delivered at the Symposium of the Faculty of Islamic Theology, Cairo, May 1, 1997.
- “Ibn ‛Arabi in the Classrooms of the Egyptian Universities”, presented at the International Conference on Ibn ‛Arabi (May 7 -15, 1997) in the city of Marrakesh, Morocco. Now, it is published in the Moroccan Journal ᾿Āfāq in French.
- “Defamed Sheikh Mustafa ‛Abdel Rāziq”, Symposium of the Arab World Institute (LIMA) in Paris about Sufism in Egypt, April 22- 29, 1998.
- “The Need for Renewal”, the World Conference of the Supreme Council of Islamic Affairs in Cairo, May 31 – June 3, 2001.
Positions as the Grand Mufti and then the Grand Imam of Al-Azhar:
- On Sunday, Dhul-Hijjah 26, 1422 A.H. ( March 10, 2002), former President Muhammed Hosni Mubarak issued a decree appointing Prof. Aḩmed Aṭ-Ṭayyeb as the Grand Mufti of the Egyptian Fatwa House, at the age of 56. His Eminence remained in this position until the first of Shaˁbān 1424 AH/September 27, 2003, when a decree was issued appointing him as the President of Al-Azhar University. He issued 2,835 fatwas recorded in the archives of the Egyptian Fatwa House.
- On the fourth Friday of the month of Rabīˁ II, 1431 AH/March 19, 2010, former President Hosni Mubarak issued decree No. 62 in 2010 appointing His Eminence Prof. Aḩmed Muḩammed Aṭ-Ṭayyeb as the Grand Imam of Al-Azhar Al-Sharif, succeeding the late Imam Prof. Muḩammed Sayyed Ṭanṭāwi.
- Currently, His Eminence continues to the commitment of fulfilling his duties as the Grand Imam of Al-Azhar Al-Sharif. May Allah make him enjoy health and wellness and make him an asset for Islam and the Muslims!